Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Interview with Member Dale

DALE KNOWS HOW TO HANDLE A CHALLENGE!
Dale, at anchor near Chatterbox Falls, during a voyage to Princess Louisa Inlet, B.C. aboard the Training Vessel PROPELLER with the Sea Scouts. Dale supervised a dozen co-ed teens, all cooped up together for two weeks on a 65 foot, 55 year-old tugboat with a single bathroom. 
----------------------------------
Laurie: Dale, let's start with what everyone want to know! How much have you lost on this segment of your weight loss journey and about how many pounds do you still want to lose?

Dale: To date, I have lost 20 lbs. My goal is to lose 20 more by year’s end.

Laurie: Tell me what has made the losing weight really happen this time around?

Dale: For me, there are two main components to my success – personal motivation and having access to a team of great wellness and fitness coaches who have showed me what I need to do to succeed.  Then it comes down to simple diet and exercise – for me that means Weight Watchers, aerobics and more walking.

Laurie: I understand that you've been a regular member of the JCC 3x a week aerobics class. Is that something that some one could join without being "in shape?"

Dale: I started with the Enhance Fitness Program at the MI Community Center. It is designed for people over 50 who want to get into better shape  - and I was really out of shape. Now I participate 3X per week in the Cardio Fitness Program at the JCC. It, too, is an exercise program designed for those over 50 and is adaptable for all fitness levels. These exercise programs have made a tremendous difference in my overall strength, fitness, stamina and conditioning.

Laurie: Tell us about your first High Intensity Strength Training (HIIT) class. What made you decide to do this? What are your fitness goals?

Dale: HIIT is a new exercise program at JCC. I find that I have reached a point where I want (and need) to step up the intensity of my exercise program one additional day per week. I had my first HIIT session last Tuesday and it WAS intense, probably the most challenging exercise session that I have ever had.  A year ago, I would have never even considered taking a class like this. The JCC has a great gym and offers a wide range of fitness classes for any level of fitness so there are many choices available.

Laurie: What is the biggest challenge that you've conquered in this phase of your weight loss journey?

Dale: For me the biggest challenges, by far, have been in the areas of personal motivation and personal discipline. I want to lose weight. I need to lose weight but, without these essential qualities, I would soon lose focus, begin taking shortcuts and ignore the weight loss tools that were readily available to me. With the help of weight watchers and encouragement from a team of great coaches, I have finally conquered my motivation and personal discipline issues. Now the path to weight loss is clear and I am motivated to succeed.

Laurie: What advice would you give to our members that has made a difference for you?

Dale: Set a weight loss and fitness goal then move forward with lifestyle changes one step at a time.  Weight loss is a journey – and a journey begins with a single footstep forward.

Laurie: What are some of the tools that have helped you to succeed?

Dale: For me, enrolling in a regularly-scheduled fitness program has been one of the key factors for my success. On the diet side, thoughtful weekly menu planning and keeping a daily food journal have helped me to identify bad eating habits and encourage good eating habits. I also attend Weight Watchers Meeting regularly and am always motivated and encouraged by the many successes that I see there.

Laurie: Any closing thoughts for us?

Dale: You CAN succeed. You can start with something as simple as a short morning walk and move forward from there towards your weight loss and fitness goals. If I can do it, YOU can do it!
Laurie: Dale, thank you for your time and thoughtful answers. You are a shining example of what people can do when they make up their mind and use their “tools!” Thank you- and get ready for that follow up interview in December. Our meeting will be rooting for you!

No comments: