According to the authors of the new book, Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength, you don't want to employ your WILLPOWER too often.
I was impressed with the experiments quoted in the book. Basically, the authors prove that we don't want to use our WILLPOWER except as a last resort. You don't want to have to DEPEND on it to get you through a diet or maintenance.
How do you succeed? You use the TOOLS and TRICKS that Weight Watchers teaches you. Only through setting yourself up for success can you lessen the dependence on Willpower.
The authors actually suggest many of the tools and tricks that we teach in a Weight Watchers meeting! There is no magic. (Darn!)
Willpower is like a muscle; the more you use it, the stronger it gets. Just don't rely on it more than you need to. Set yourself up for success. If you don't know how- stay for your Weight Watchers meetings and watch and listen to those who do.
Have an Easy Halloween. Set yourself up for success.
- Don't go candy shopping till the afternoon of Oct. 31st.
- Don't buy candy you like.
- If you can think of something besides candy to give away, buy that instead.
- If you must have a candy, plan ahead and have just one.
- And keep the WILLPOWER for emergencies!