Sunday, March 11, 2012

"There's Always Another Choice..."

Choices, choices...

Weight Watchers has a mantra that they teach us at Leader Training, "There's always another choice." Simple, but profound. 

If you are on the weight-loss journey or hanging in there on maintenance- you'll be interested in this Cornell University study finding: We make over 200 food decisions a day! Impossible, you think?

Here are just a few sample decisions you may make each day: What am I going to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Should I take another bite? Should I stop home for food or whip something up in my kitchen? Is that cookie really necessary? I'm thirsty, should I stop for a drink? Does my meal require more salt? Do I have enough milk for breakfast in the morning? Should I write this in my food journal or not?

With so many decisions coming from your brain, you want to train it to help you make the best decisions. After you've been on a healthy food plan (like Weight Watchers) for a certain amount of time, you start having less dilemmas! You have one or two breakfasts to choose from and you keep those ingredients on hand. You have a good idea of the four or five lunches that you rely on. You journal because you know it is what makes the difference between a successful week and a so-so results.

The more choices you make, the more tired you get! And when you get tired, you are less likely to make "good" choices. This is proven in the thesis of the Willpower book by Baumeister and Tierney. 

So what am I saying to you? Hang in there! Stick with your Weight Watchers program. Get the support you need to make it a lifestyle that involves less choices and more smooth sailing. 

The journey will always be bumpy- make it as easy on yourself and your brain so you can succeed. Keep coming to meetings, even when you don't feel like it. Keep journaling as much as you can. Keep doing good things, making good choices and TRAIN YOUR BRAIN in the direction you want to see it keep going.

Less decisions are helpful. Repetition is key.

No comments: