Friday, December 16, 2011

Follow Your Rules: Don't Cross that Line!

     Member Jan (who has lost more than 50 pounds!) shared one of her success secrets with me after our last Weight Watchers meeting.
     The secret? Jan has a cabinet of goodies, just for her husband. She takes delight in buying him chocolate and other treats as her spouse actually could stand to gain weight. Jan stays OUT of his cabinet. When she tried saying to herself, "I'll just eat one or two of those treats," she started getting in trouble. In the wisdom of "Learning from Experience" she decided that the cabinet is simply off-limits to her. Off-limits. Stay out. Nothing to think about: simply off-limits.
     Learning from Jan, we could all benefit from writing OUR OWN PERSONAL RULEBOOK. What works for you? This is kind of like the 10 Commandments of Weight-Loss that we did in a past meeting. (I blogged previously on this topic.) What rules to do you need put in place and not cross that line?
     This morning when I was preparing lunches and was thinking about my most challenging day ahead (Friday, preparing food for the Sabbath), I decided to re-energize my commitment to only eating while sitting down. I've been battling the nibbling-while-cooking habit for months, but I've really stepped up the commitment in the past few weeks. (Even started a facebook group: No Seat, No Eat for support!- You are welcome to join!) Some days have been great, some days I've fallen again and again, but I'm not giving up. I will conquer this bad habit and create a positive habit in its place.

     I have 100% confidence today that I am going to follow MY rule, feel good about myself and my accomplishment and maintain my newest low weight, which I reached this morning. (I finally lost that last pound.)



My dear friends: Write down your rules! 
What is allowed? 
What will you simply not have to deliberate? 
  • Should I take one of my husband's goodies, just this time?
  • Are grapes okay to nibble on while making dinner or will that get me back into a bad habit?
  • Should I eat two desserts, just this once?
  • Should I get the regular cone instead of the children's sized scoop?   
  • Should I skip my workout, just for today?
  • I can buy my favorite cookies today, just for the kids. I can handle it now that I'm doing so good.
  • Should I eat "a little" fudge, since Auntie Sue made it especially for me, even though I committed not to eat any chocolate (because deep down you know you can't handle it, and you know it will set you off)?
     When you have a line you won't cross, you take the deliberation and rationalization away. You simply don't do it. 
     All of us need to be on guard not to rationalize. 
     You can definitely win the game of weight loss, if you follow the rules- both of your diet plan and the ones that you create.

No comments: