Friday, July 1, 2011

VACATION TIME! All or Nothing?

     I missed leading yesterday's meeting because I was on vacation. Your topic was Pack Your Plan- how to go on vacation while staying on your weight loss program. Since I studied the topic before we went on our road trip to Oregon, I figured I'd better practice the skills that Weight Watchers teaches.
     First thing to do is decide on a goal. Do you want to lose weight on your trip? Do you want to maintain? Do you want to gain???
     I doubt anyone consciously decides to gain weight on a trip, but most of us end up with a few "unwanted souvenirs!"
     So- setting a goal is of utmost importance. I set a goal to lose- and I did it! For me, getting away from the kitchen is a huge help in losing weight. I made up my mind to take advantage of it. I thought ahead of time about the kinds of foods I was going to choose and what foods/snacks I'd need to take from home.
     Recently, one of my star Weight Watchers, Ms. D., lost 12 pounds while she was on a cruise. Ms. D. is a winner who decided ahead of time what her goal was and she accomplished it with flying colors. Bravo, bravo!
     It is so easy when you are away from routine to chuck all your discipline and eat what looks good. Don't go on vacation from everything! Keep as much of your plan as you can. It doesn't have to be ALL or NOTHING!
  • Make a plan at breakfast what your lunch and dinner should consist of.
  • Skip the snacks and concentrate on three meals a day so you can enjoy activities without worrying about food.
  • Drink, drink, drink (water!)
  • Walk, walk, walk.
     Many of my Weight Watchers credit walking with losing or maintaining while on vacation. Be active. Enjoy the outdoors. Enjoy your food by choosing wisely and enjoying the break from the kitchen. 
If you are putting together meals in your vacation location, try to stick to the same foods that are helping you lose weight at home.

     To track or not to track? If you write down your food at breakfast and make a plan for lunch and dinner, tracking takes no more time than brushing your teeth! Brushing your teeth in an investment in your health and so is tracking.
If you refuse to track on vacation, consider our Weight Watchers Clicker? You just click your PointsPlus values away as you consume them. This little gadget sells for $5 in our meeting room.

     RECAP- make a goal. Consider tracking in some form. Stick to the foods you've been successful with. Drink. Walk. Have fun. Remember it isn't all or nothing- do as much as you can to eat healthily- and you won't come home with unwanted souvenirs!

No comments: