Friday, January 25, 2013

Asking for HELP!


We used to have a cool thing at Weight Watchers called the The Helpful Habits Quiz. We tested ourselves to discover which habits we were excelling in and which needed improvement. The area I needed to work on was "asking for help." Who likes to ASK FOR HELP? Yet, when you think about it- people rarely accomplish great things (or goals) in a vacuum.      

When I was sick this week, I wanted some chicken soup. I thought it would be so nice if someone brought me soup instead of making it myself. I called a couple of friends and voilĂ - both were happy to do it! One actually came through by dinner time with a huge potful of "Jewish penicillin." For dinner I consumed four bowls of soup.  The next morning, felt like I turned the corner towards wellness! (I'm sure she put lots of love and prayer in with the carrots, celery and onions.)

How did I have the chutzpah to actually call someone and ASK FOR HELP? It is because I had taken this quiz and realized I needed work in this area. Recognizing areas where I'm weak gives me awareness to be on the lookout for remedies. I wanted soup but I didn't have the ingredients to make it. I needed help. I decided that I COULD ask. And I'm so glad I did.

Losing weight is not a solitary activity. While you are making the easy and hard food decisions, you are still in the company of others while executing many of those choices. You're out to eat with friends, your spouse brings home your favorite ice cream, your kids want chips in the house...and you're trying to stay on your food plan. You don't want to say, "No," but you're not sure pleasing them is going to help you stay focused. Yet, you hesitate to speak up. Sometimes you submerge your doubts in the interest of pleasing someone else....and later regret not listening to that initial warning twinge.

My friend just called me to ask how I was feeling. She was pleased to get an update on how well I'm recovering- 7 bowls of soup later. I feel good; she feels pleased! PEOPLE WANT TO HELP. And people want to help YOU lose weight. All you have to do is ask.

Since realizing that I need to work on ASKING for help, over the years I have asked family members to remove certain foods from our pantry and they've always happily complied. (Husband- happily, kids- sometimes happily) I just had to ask. 

Who can you ask for help? Who can help ease your journey? I know it is hard at first- but believe me, people WANT to help. It's good for them and it's great for you. Be on the lookout how and when you can use this tool. Just ask!

No comments: